Water is everywhere we look. It is a pivotal detail in our daily lives and without it, we wouldn’t be able to survive.
However, clean water is hard to come by and it is crucial to invest in groundwater monitoring and remediation to ensure the polluted water doesn’t get anywhere near to our water supply. If this happens, it can cause all types of health risks and problems so it is so important we watch how we treat our ground water.
Since water is so important to everyday life, here are some fun facts about water that will really get you thinking.
- The human body is composed of about 70% water. It is needed for every single function we do, from circulating our blood around our bodies to moving our muscles and thinking.
- A loss in half a percent of our body’s water can cause severe migraines and headaches.
- Because it is so necessary for our daily lives, the general recommendation for water consumption is about eight, eight-ounce glasses a day. Athletes and pregnant women should drink more.
- Pure water has a pH of seven, meaning that is is not acidic or basic.
- It is normal to for the water in your home to go through a water treatment process as a way to get clean water. While it is normal for there to be some chemicals naturally occurring in ground water, these can be harmful if ingested in mass quantities. Chemicals such as fluoride and chlorine will be easily taken out with the implementation of a water filter.
- About 75% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water. But, unfortunately, only 1% is drinkable.
- By the time a person is thirsty, they are already experiencing a 1% loss in their body water.
- Water is the first thing anyone loses when they lose weight. Weight from water is also called bloating, so if you notice you are losing weight right away after physical exercise, then it is just water.
As you can see, polluted water can cause plenty of different problems to our lives since water is so pivotal to our health and well-being. So, we hope you think twice about how important water is the next time you to go grab some water from the tap!