In today’s fast-paced world, you may think there’s no place anymore for commercial printing. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
In fact, the commercial printing industry grew by about 1.7% in 2018 and expected similar numbers for 2019. Whether companies are looking for print and packaging solutions, commercial graphics, packaging for e-commerce and even printed cardboard boxes, there’s a lot that the average digital printing business can offer a company.
Even in its most basic forms, printing has played an important role in the history of the world. Johannes Gutenberg started a printing revolution in 1440 and printing pictures onto items dates back as far as the 1400s. From newspapers to signs to flyers, printing has steadily evolved to its current state where digital printing is now the industry standard.
Even in an increasingly-paperless world, Nine in 10 customers still believe there will always be a need for printed materials and innovations like digital printing. In fact, nearly 50% of millennials have something professionally printed once a month. If that wasn’t enough, 80% of businesses claim that professionally printed materials help them stand out from the competition.
First used in 1993, digital printing continues to offer individuals and companies plenty of print and packaging solutions and many other options for transforming the way they do business and what they can offer customers.
Why is digital printing so coveted by many companies? It has many benefits, which include:
- Quality: Bottom line: digital printing is the industry standard because of its high quality and consistency. For whatever a company’s needs are, the colors are crisper, the images are sharper and the quality you see on the first cardboard box or flyer or folder or bound presentation is the same quality you’re going to see on the last one. From start to finish, you’ll be impressed with the job.
- Cost: Since plates aren’t required for digital printing, employees at a printing company can set up jobs for print and packaging solutions and commercial graphics and signage and other orders much faster than traditional printing methods.
- Quick turnaround: With less time required to set up different printing jobs, printing companies can get work done a lot faster. This can be a godsend for companies in need of quick runs of flyers and brochures, so they aren’t left empty-handed before important business meetings.
- Customization: It doesn’t matter if a company is looking for something big like print and packaging solutions or something small like fliers it can hand out on the local boardwalk, a company that specializes in digital printing offers everyone—from big companies to mom and pop shops—the chance to customize their orders with company logos, slogans and essential information.
If you’re a curious customer who wants to know how digital printing works, it’s a fairly simple process:
- A file—typically send to digital printing services in PDF form—is sharpened, cleaned then altered (either blown up or even shrunk) to meet a customer’s needs.
- Printers add some helpful variables such as cropping marks and bleeding to make sure that every inch of space is used before a job starts printing. The crop and bleed marks are adjusted before the job prints.
- One of the biggest goals of digital printing is to use as much space as possible while trying to avoid waste.
- Once a job is finished and printed, it’s converted to the appropriate format the customer is wanting whether it’s a JPG, GIF or TIFF to name a few things.
The moral of the story is that digital printing continues to revolutionize the way companies get printed materials. Digital printers offer plenty of basic printing styles, but it can also offer specialty printing such as flexographic or offset printing. Flexographic printing uses a flexible relief plate to print on a variety of surfaces like paper, plastic, cellophane and metallic film. By contrast, offset printing transfers an inked image to a plate to a rubber blanket and finally whatever the printing surface is.
For high-quality, timely printing jobs, digital printing services are absolutely the way to go. By going with digital printing, companies can get quality items in a timely manner.